Friday, May 28, 2010

Bulldog Ink: MMSA students share the stories behind their tattoos


By Adrian Hopson '11

At Marine Math & Science Academy (MMSA) walking through the hallways you will find several cadets with tattoos on their arm or other body parts. Tattoos are very popular with teens. I started to wonder what the tattoos meant to them and why they got them. Tattoos are something permanent and some people feel that tattoos shouldn’t be done and some feel they should.


The first person I interviewed was Shavonda Kornegay ‘11. One of her tattoos says Family first. “To me, no one comes before your family” Kornegay said. “It shows that blood is thicker than water.” She got her tattoo last April to let her friends and others know how she feels. To her getting a tattoo doesn’t hurt, “it’s the coloring that hurts the most” Kornegay said. When asked if she regretted getting tattoos, Shavonda said “I don’t regret getting them, if a person wants a tattoo then they should get something that means something to them.” The rumor that getting tattoos is addictive is true; Shavonda has already gotten four of them.




Gregory Peters ‘11 told me that the reason he got tattoos was because he thinks they look sexy on him. One of his tattoos that has special meaning to him is his tattoo of his grandmother’s name. “I know that no matter what my grandmother is going to be there for me when I need her.” Peters said. Gregory also told me that tattoos didn’t really hurt that much. The place on your body that hurts the most to get a tattoo on is your back according to Gregory. “Tattoos are addictive to me and I do plan on getting more I just don’t know what yet.”

Mariah Coleman ‘11 got a tattoo because she wanted one and felt that since she was old enough to get one. She got her name tattooed on her arm for her first tattoo because she didn’t want to regret her first one. Mariah told me she doesn’t regret getting a tattoo because she got something that she wanted. “I feel that people should get a tattoo only if that’s what they really want to do.” When asked are tattoo addictive she told me not to her, but to some people they might be. “If I get another tattoo I want designs added to my name.”




“The reason I got tattoos is because I really like body art” Luis Telles ’11 said. Luis got religious tattoos because some of his family members passed away and he wanted to keep them in his memories. He doesn’t regret his tattoos, but he does wish he could get more and plans on doing so after high school. “Since they are so addictive I plan on getting the Marine Corp eagle globe and anchor.” To him the pain of getting a tattoo is all in your head. “When I got mine I didn’t feel the pain.” Luis feels that if people want a tattoo they should get something they really want because they never go away unless surgical removed. “I think getting a tattoo is a personal thing for people if they want them or not.”


No comments:

Post a Comment