Thursday, May 6, 2010

Boost Up Your Self-Esteem




By: Shavonda Kornegay '11

Are you use to hearing yourself complain that your nose is too big, you wish you were taller, or you’re not cute enough? Many teenagers struggle with self-esteem. “I’m too fat, she is prettier then I am, or I wish I had bigger muscles”. Those are constant worries that teenagers struggle with each day they wake up.

Self esteem can range from how much pride people have in themselves, how worthwhile they feel, or wishing they were someone else. Statistics at KidsHealth (www.kidshealth.org) states that early teens have the lowest self-esteem. Why? Because teenagers bodies start to form and go through many changes during this time. As their body changes, their attitude about themself changes as well. This is when teens start to care about how other people see them.

Teen self esteem isn’t all about body image; it can also be about fitting in. Not being an athlete at school or the most popular girl/boy at your high school, can be a letdown to teenagers. This letdown can be accompanied with a lower sense of self worth. These feelings can be caused from problems with a friend or relationship, or eve problems at home. When you have low self esteem you often experience failure. It often creates stress, loneliness and depression, which sometimes leads to drugs and abuse

A female cadet ‘11 at Marine Math & Science Academy (MMSA) worries about her low self esteem with her body image. “Most of the time I worry about if I’m pretty enough, but I’m real conscious about my body.” Teens often compare themselves against others. “Often times I wish that I was someone else. If I can change something about myself, I would want to lose more weight and have a smaller chest size” said the cadet. A male cadet ‘11 at MMSA worries about his low self-esteem associated with fitting in. “Most times I think that I’m too shy. I would like to be more outspoken like most of the kids at my school.” He too, often has said to himself at times that he wish he was somebody else.

As we all know, low self-esteem can destroy success. So what can we do to help improve teen success? Ignore negative comments. You may often hear negativity not only from those you dislike, but from your own parents and even friends. Learn to train your brain to except the positive feedbacks of things and ignore the negative ones. Have you ever heard the term “you are what you think about most of the time”? Think highly upon yourself, set your mind to accomplishing things, and never have doubt.

Tips from Erupting Mind (www.eruptingmind.com)
Raise your self esteem everyday day
Create confidence connection in the brain
Practice
Act your way to high self esteem
Join social groups

No comments:

Post a Comment